By: Juan Cole
1. White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US? Other terrorists are called, like, “terrorists.”
2. White terrorists are “troubled loners.” Other terrorists are always suspected of being part of a global plot, even when they are obviously troubled loners.
3. Doing a study on the danger of white terrorists at the Department of Homeland Security will get you sidelined by angry white Congressmen. Doing studies on other kinds of terrorists is a guaranteed promotion.
4. The family of a white terrorist is interviewed, weeping as they wonder where he went wrong. The families of other terrorists are almost never interviewed.
5. White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.
6. White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.
7. White terrorists are never called “white.” But other terrorists are given ethnic affiliations.
8. Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies.
9. White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.
10. There is nothing you can do about white terrorists. Gun control won’t stop them. No policy you could make, no government program, could possibly have an impact on them. But hundreds of billions of dollars must be spent on police and on the Department of Defense, and on TSA, which must virtually strip search 60 million people a year, to deal with other terrorists.
If you liked ‘In Bruges’, I guess you’re going to love this… ‘Seven Psychopaths’ from Martin McDonagh. I can’t wait to see this!
You lovely lot, have a bit of Spiritualized to brighten up your Tuesday afternoon. Ladies & Gentlemen, ‘Stop Your Crying’…
It’s heartening to know Brandon Cronenberg has followed in his Father’s (twisted) footsteps…
Derek Redmond — 1992 Olympics 400 meter semifinals
From NBC: “In the 400 meter semifinals, Derek Redmond provided one of the most poignant moments in Olympic history. After pulling his hamstring and collapsing to the track, he got up, determined to finish the race. Struggling on his own, Redmond was eventually helped across the finish line by his father, Jim.”
I’ve just been reminded of this advert. Quite possibly the funniest of all time. The PG Tips chimpanzees…
It’s a lovely sunny day, have a listen to this beauty from LCD Soundsystem, guaranteed to make your day even better…
If you only listen to one Hip Hop track today, make it this one. A classic from Public Enemy. Rightly getting lots of exposure at the moment.